Rising Tide protest: climate activists stop three ships from entering world’s largest coal port in Newcastle

19 hours ago 5

Activists have blocked two more coal ships from entering the Port of Newcastle on the fourth day of the Rising Tide protests, bringing the total number of ships turned around by campaigners this weekend to three.

Thousands of people have gathered at Rising Tide’s annual climate protest at the world’s largest coal port. The blockade began on Thursday and will continue until Tuesday.

Hundreds have kayaked into the port, with many more watching on from the beach.

Three activists secured themselves to the anchor chain and sides of a ship on Sunday as part of a Greenpeace Australia Pacific action, according to the environment group.

The Australian musicians Oli and Louis Leimbach, who had earlier performed at the protest as part of the band Lime Cordiale, were joined by Dr Elen O’Donnell, a doctor and Greenpeace activist, who boarded the vessel, Greenpeace said.

The activists unfurled a banner that stated “Phase out coal and gas” and painted the words “Timeline now!” on the ship.

“We are taking action today, alongside thousands of people who have joined Rising Tide’s blockade, to show Australia’s leaders that if the government won’t act, the people will,” O’Donnell said.

Sign up: AU Breaking News email

“Australia is the world’s third-largest fossil fuel exporter, and its outsized role in the climate crisis calls for serious action. Every shipment of coal that leaves this port contributes to more devastating bushfires, floods and cyclones.”

Rising Tide said it stopped a second ship from entering the port on Sunday.

The Port Authority of New South Wales confirmed three ships had been blocked.

“Maintaining the safe operation of the port and ensuring the safety of maritime workers and the general public remains the highest priority,” a spokesperson said on Sunday.

All shipping movements were being conducted in consultation with NSW police.

skip past newsletter promotion

On Saturday, activists had also stopped a ship from entering the port. Eleven protesters were arrested and charged by police after they breached an exclusion zone put in place by the New South Wales government. The zone, which was approved by the transport minister, John Graham, covers most of the harbour until Monday morning.

Protesters who breach the zone, which is marked by buoys, face enforcement action.

Rising Tide said an additional 22 people had been arrested and charged on Sunday morning for breaching the exclusion zone. Two teenagers were arrested but not charged.

Rising Tide said some people had been charged for entering the marine exclusion zone. That offence, if proven, carries a maximum penalty $1,100. The protest group said others had been charged under anti-protest laws that carry a maximum penalty of two years in jail.

Joe Rafalowicz, the head of climate and energy at Greenpeace Australia Pacific, criticised the Albanese government for continuing to approve new gas and coal projects.

“At Cop30 in Brazil, the Australian government joined the landmark Belém Declaration – its strongest statement yet that acknowledges our international commitment to limit warming to 1.5C means no new fossil fuels,” he said.

“But just days later, the Albanese government doubled down on coal and gas – completely at odds with Australia’s obligation and responsibility to address emissions as one of the world’s largest coal and gas exporters. It’s a joke.”

Rising Tide called on the federal government to: cancel all new fossil fuel projects; tax fossil fuel profits at 78% to fund the transition from those fuels and pay for climate damage; and end coal exports from Newcastle by 2030.

It’s understood seven ships were moved through the Newcastle port on Saturday despite the protest.

Read Entire Article
International | Politik|